Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween

Don't worry, I'm going to try not to bash the holiday. But, I do feel like I need to say my peace. Growing up, our family's celebration of halloween consisted of passing out the candy with a spiritual tract(salvation booklet) in a plastic baggy. We would all sit at the table and put together the candy/tract bags and then that night we would take turns passing them out. Our goal as a family was to witness to the other kids who might show up at our door. Now I'm not saying that was the perfect or "right" way to do things that is just how we did it. So when we had Eleanor, I had to really think about what we were going to do.

I don't know if you have noticed the change, but Halloween has become a HUGE holiday compared to when I was little. And maybe partly because I lived in a home that didn't fully participate. Today as I was riding up the elevator to work, a guy I was with said "happy Halloween! It's my favorite holiday!" and to be honest it bothered me. I have decided that I don't have a problem letting my child dress up and taking her trick or treating. But I do have a problem with the glorification of Satan, witches, ghosts, blood, and anything representing evil. There I said it.:) Jesus came to this world to save us from all that!

Don't get me wrong, Eleanor will be dressing up and hitting the pavement tonight, and there are a lot of fun, harmless things that are associated with Halloween. But I want Eleanor to grow up knowing that there is also a dark side to Halloween of which I don't want her to ever become "comfortable" with.


-- Posted from my iPhone

3 comments:

christa said...

well said, michelle!

Tasha said...

I'm like you... We grew up doing about the same as you, but we wouldn't even open our door. Once we had Carson we had to decide what we wanted to do as a family... And we decided that we wouldn't participate at all...so we don't even let Carson dress up. I know that is fun and nothing wrong with kids dressing up to get candy, but I am just not comfortable with celebrating any part of Halloween. We get a lot of looks when people ask what Carson is going to dress up as... And I say, "nothing." we don't do Haloween.

Every family just has to decide what is beat for them, but I am glad you feel the same way I do... Many people don't see anything wrong with that day.

Rachel Young said...

Amen and Amen!!!