"One compact flourescent light bulb saves an average of $35 in energy costs over the life of the bulb, compared to a standard light bulb."

So we get home and are all excited to try them out. We figure that we use the two lamps in our living room the most so in they went...Yikes! I felt like I was in my dad's toolshed! The total feel of the house had changed...believe it or not a light bulb can do that...It felt sterile and NOT like a home at all...so I told Scott that we needed to give it the evening and see if we adjusted to the light. If not, we would take them out and put them somewhere it didn't matter....Needless to say, they are yet to be taken out of the lamps, but has anyone else gone through this experience and ended up liking them? $35 over five years? Is it really worth it?
7 comments:
Supposedly, they do make a difference in your energy bill. Especially if you replace all your bulbs with them.
Andy tries to put them wherever he can, but I hate the blue, cold light they give off. Ugg. Even the ones that say "natural light" are NOT nice.
I hear soon they will be the only bulbs you can buy. http://www.moneysavingmom.com/search/label/Reducing%20energy%20use
If they can improve the quality then I'd love em!
It is the nature of the bulb, it's a different kind of light. We use them in all of our light fixtures, but mainly because we'll do just about anything to pinch a penny (yeah, I've even stopped using the "heat dry" cycle on my dishwaher.) I've gotten used to the dim light (although it always seems really dark to me after coming in from outdoors, even if ALL the lights are on)but what I can't get used to is that my hubby bought the silly little spiral ones. They look...stupid, especially on the ceiling fans. When they die in another five years, I'm totally going to make him buy the ones that actually look like real lightbulbs!
We have had one set for over 2 years in our bathroom.
I don't LOVE the color they put off, but our bathroom gets lots of natural light as well.
My dad has made sure that I change my whole house over to these bulbs. I must be honest...I hated them in my bathroom b/c they buzzed (I've got enough ringing in my ears that I don't need light bulbs buzzing too) but I've also found that there are different kinds of energy saving lights...and, I no longer notice it in the majority of my house. (And, I no longer hear the buzzing!) :-)
The people that owned this house before us put in all those kind of light bulbs (the ugly spiral kind). I had never used them before and am not sure that I will continue buying them, let us know what you decide. Maybe by the time I have to buy new ones I will be more used to them.
I will try to do your tag soon!
we have these in all fixtures where you can't see the bulbs. They cost a lot but I think the energy savings is worth it. When we moved out of our old house, we took all these lightbulbs with us and moved them with us. I'd say most of ours are over three years old. They are especially great for porch lights because we leave ours on 24/7 for safety reasons and they don't burn out every few months. I think they are making 'warmer' light versions now. If you look at a home store with a bigger selection you might find them. Also, buy the highest wattage you can. As the light gets brighter you get less of the 'blue' effect.
hmmm, all very interesting. my dad was also telling me that soon these lights will be the only ones available. but can you buy them without the spiral ? there are normal ones? i cant imagine putting on my makeup in these lights. i will feel like i look like a monster every day!
Post a Comment