Friday, April 4, 2008

Tornadoes!





Scott and I got to experience a tornado going through our neighborhood last night! I know I've lived in Oklahoma most my life and seen A LOT of tornados, but I have never seen a tornado get so close to our house growing up.

Last night Scott and I had made a pretty big grocery run, unpacked the groceries, made some hot dogs, and had settled in front of the tube. About two hours later our show is interrupted by the local channel saying that there was really bad weather coming our way. They also said there seemed to be some sort of rotation south of us.

Then a couple minutes later, the siren starts going off. About this time I am freaking out, pulling stuff out of our closet in the hallway so we can hide in there in case something happened. Then the news says that there is a tornado and that it is going to hit Cammack Village in fifteen minutes which is where we live. All the sudden the trees start swaying back and forth really hard and our power goes out. Then everything is quiet. Even outside. Then we start hearing fire trucks and ambulances.

So Scott decides it would be fun to drive around since we are out of power. It's weird to not have electricity! I don't know how people made it before we had electricity. Like how did girls do their hair?? (my main question). And what about alarm clocks? We had to use our cell phone but they didnt have cell phones back then! So we got Izzy and took a drive. Literally two blocks up the street there are major power lines down, trees uprooted, big trees, and debris everywhere.

Apparently the last time a tornado hit Little Rock was 10 YEARS AGO! Usually the tornadoes stay south but this little one changed his mind at the last minute, went up Mississippi street, took a right onto Cantrell and a left right into our neighborhood. Thankfully there are no fatalities that we know of and God kept us and our little house safe!

I should have taken my camera with us last night to take pictures had I know how bad it was. I will try to get some today but by now they have most the roads blocked off in our neighborhood. Also, no power yet at our house and they are saying it could be days. So we will probably be moving all of our newly bought groceries to our parents house:)

5 comments:

jenica said...

This news woke me up this morning through Andy's radio alarm at 5:30 I was hoping you all were ok!
Glad to hear of no fatalities.

bandanachick said...

Scary!
So glad you guys are safe and your house made it too!

Brooke said...

Wow!

Anonymous said...

hey, its your sis, cool pictures. I'm glad you guys are ok. Was izzy scared? If she was outside she might have blown away,funny...but sad:(
talk to ya soon

Michelle said...

Hah!:) izzy actually had no clue of what was going on...the whole time she kept trying to get us to play fetch with her oinker...so glad she didnt get blown away that would have been horrible!